[Python-Dev] [Roundup-devel] PSF GSoC slot for Roundup?

Stefan Seefeld stefan at codesourcery.com
Tue Mar 24 01:50:27 CET 2009

Daniel (ajax) Diniz wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm about to submit a proposal for the PSF to use one GSoC slot for
> the Python bug tracker. I've collected a few items I think might be
> interesting for Roundup itself, most of which are valid RFEs for our
> tracker. Feel free to add more ideas to the list below.

I very much like the idea of Roundup participating in the GSoC. As I
mentioned off-list, I'm likely to mentor another project on boost.org
(specifically, boost.python). While I would certainly like to help, I'm
not sure to what degree I would be able to. This may also depend on the
proposal itself. Is there a place I need to sign up to be considered as
a potential mentor ?

> I'd like to know what people think should be prioritized should
> Roundup get one or part of a GSoC slot. BTW, if anyone wants to submit
> a separate proposal for Roundup and is willing to mentor it, posts to
> python-dev are welcome.

There are many interesting points on your wishlist. In particular, I
like a common theme that emerges from some of those: Enhancing Roundup
to be useful as a development tool. I have started to work on a new
tracker template, specifically targeted at development (with a schema
including 'milestone', and 'task'). It might be interesting to consider
how this could be enhanced, for example to integrate with versioning
tools such as subversion (for which Richard already worked out
bindings), CVS, GIT, etc.

Or, integrate with automated build and test infrastructure (buildbot
comes to mind).

Another topic for improvement is performance / optimization:

* Improve caching and instance sharing across multiple (web) requests
* Fuse multiple SQL queries to reduce the number of RDBMS calls
* ...

I'm sure there are a great many things to be worked on.
Thanks for proposing Roundup to be part in GSoC !

       Stefan

--
Stefan Seefeld
CodeSourcery