[Python-Dev] Non-Core project: IDLE

Guilherme Polo ggpolo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 23:17:33 CET 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 5:39 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> Guilherme Polo wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 8:53 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> IDLE needs lots of attention -- more than any one experienced person is
>>> likely to have
>>>

>> I'm willing to step up as a student for this but I still have to write
>> a good proposal for it.
>> My actual concern is about mentor availability, is someone around
>> interested on being an IDLE mentor ?
>
> If I could, I would, and would have said so.  But I have only read about tk
> and have not actually used it.  If I did decide to dive into it, you'd be
> mentoring me ;-).  What I can and would do is give ideas for changes, read
> and comment on a proposal, and user test patched versions.

That is very nice Terry. Do you have some specific ideas that you want
to share publicly (or in private) about IDLE ? Your expectations about
what should be addressed first, or areas that should be improved.. you
know, anything.

The proposal I'm planning will include IDLE but it will also include
some Tkinter, since it depends on it and bugs on the later can affect
the former as you know. I was planning to first target the lack of
tests of both IDLE and Tkinter, I believe that by adding tests (and
doing it nicely) may change how future changes are applied (I'm
thinking about having them getting new tests for new features, fixes,
etc as it happens for other areas in Python) and will make easier to
maintain them. My other target is to check the open tickets in the bug
tracker regarding IDLE and Tkinter too, I have been much more active
on the later so the former will take some more time to test/think/make
a decision.

I will be able to test these changes under Linux and on plain Windows
XP, Vista and the 7 but differences between different system
configurations may also affect IDLE, so any help you can provide will
be very much appreciated. Hopefully someone with a mac will be able to
provide some help here too.

--
-- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves