[Python-Dev] GSoC: Core Python development tools

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Mar 23 22:40:23 CET 2009

> The real issues with svnmerge are its occasional bugs or failures (it forgot
> some changesets when merging in the io-c branch!), its slowness, and its
> limitations (which are really inherent to the SVN model: e.g., if someone
> commits to the branch you have just started doing an svnmerge to, you have to
> revert everything and start over with the latest updates).

I think addressing the slowness should surely be in scope for SoC: I
would hope that rewriting it to only use a single session should provide
some speedup (i.e. through the Python bindings, rather than the command
line).

Of course, such a project might better be mentored at subversion than
Python.

Regards,
Martin

P.S. I don't believe your claim that it forgot changesets. Could it be
that it simply forgot adding files, and that it did so because you
already had the files in the sandbox, so that the merging failed?

P.P.S. Are you sure you have to re-merge when somebody commits
something unrelated to the branch? Or just when somebody else merges
as well?