[Python-Dev] Multiprocessing on Solaris

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 15:39:46 CET 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Christian Heimes <lists at cheimes.de> wrote:
> Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> I think multiprocessing is misguided in hard-coding these settings
>> into setup.py. As we can see, the necessary features are available
>> on some versions of Solaris, but not on others. It would be better
>> if autoconf tests were written, and the entire configuration removed
>> from setup.py.
>
> I guess multiprocessing doesn't use autoconf tests for historical
> reasons. It's ancestor -- the pyprocessing package -- was using hard
> coded values, too.
>
> I've started with a autoconf file for the multiprocessing backport
> package. The tests should produce the same set of definitions but I'm
> not able to test it on different platforms expect Linux.
> http://python-multiprocessing.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/configure.ac
>
> Christian

Christian is correct, it's purely for historical reasons. I have no
particular stake in keeping it as is other than the fact that there
are higher priorities in the bug queue (and improving the tests) than
the build functionality.

Christian - I would appreciate it if we could coordinate/track this on
the tracker too - I had no idea you were doing this in the back port,
and I don't think we want the two code bases to diverge that much.

This is definitely something which could be hacked on during the
sprints though. There's been a lot of movement in the *BSD space
around defining these values and providing the faculties needed for mp
to work.

-jesse