[Python-Dev] Integrate BeautifulSoup into stdlib?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Mar 23 15:24:04 CET 2009

R. David Murray wrote:
> I disagree.  One of the jobs I've had is release management for
> internal software projects that depend on various external pieces.
> Release integration tested against specific versions of those external
> packages, and those were the packages that needed to wind up on the system
> when the release was installed.  I've done systems depending on both perl
> and python, and let me tell you, python is way, _way_ easier to manage.
> With python, I have a dependency on a particular python version, and then
> maybe one or two add on packages.

Well, python already has tools available to do exactly this.:
buildout from a private egg repository will do exactly what you're after.

However, its built on top of setuptools, which is flawed, and it's not
blessed as "official core python", so there's lots of room for improvement!

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk