[Python-Dev] packaging (was Integrate BeautifulSoup into stdlib?)

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Mar 23 15:04:38 CET 2009

Nick Coghlan wrote:
> Network connectivity isn't a given, even today.

Indeed, now that is an important consideration.
Packaging systems need to support "offline" modes. Buildout already does...

> If someone else decides to create a MinimalPython which consists solely
> of something like easy_install and whatever is needed to run it (i.e.
> the opposite of the "fat" bundles from folks like ActiveState and
> Enthought), then more power to them. But I don't believe the official
> releases from python.org should go that way.

My frustration is that some of the big standard libraries are locked to
python releases meaning they carry around bugs for longer and are harder
to contribute to than necessary...

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk