[Python-Dev] Multiprocessing on Solaris

Scott Dial scott+python-dev at scottdial.com
Mon Mar 23 04:31:00 CET 2009

Christian Heimes wrote:
> Martin v. Löwis schrieb:
>>> According to the user's experience multiprocessing should not compile
>>> and run correctly unless this patch is applied.
>> Can this please be more qualified? I can confirm Scott's observation:
>> for the trunk, it compiles just fine, using SunPro CC on Solaris 10,
>> on SPARC. Also, test_multiprocessing passes.

Sorry, I mistakenly said "without issue" and then copied the issues
below. I meant to say "not without issues." _multiprocessing does *not*
build on Solaris 8.

>> IIUC, incorrect setting of HAVE_SEM_TIMEDWAIT to 1 should cause a
>> compile failure, as sem_timedwait would be called but not defined.
>> However, sem_timedwait *is* defined on Solaris.
>>
>> Likewise, for HAVE_FD_TRANSFER=1 to work, SCM_RIGHTS must be defined
>> (and implemented); it is defined in sys/socket.h, and documented in
>> socket.h(3HEAD).
>>
>> So there must be going on something else at the user's machine.
>
> The user doesn't respond to my inquiries anymore. According to his
> initial message he is using Solaris 5.8 with GCC 3.4.6 on a Sun Fire
> machine. Here is a link to his mesage:
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.general/615802

I can confirm his build issues on:

$ uname -srvmpi
SunOS 5.8 Generic_117350-51 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-280R
$ gcc -v
Reading specs from
/usr/local/gnu/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/2.95.2/specs
gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)

My build output from within the trunk is the same as his modulo the
details of being part of a trunk build instead.

Is Solaris 8 really a supported platform? If so, I can investigate the
changes he suggested.

--
Scott Dial
scott at scottdial.com