[Python-Dev] Security fixes in 2.5 and 2.4

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Mar 19 10:04:11 CET 2009

I just got a few questions on how to apply security fixes.
To clarify, I recommend the following guidelines:

- whether something constitutes a security bug is sometimes
  debatable - in case of doubt, discussion is needed. I would
  be in favor of fixing it if the patch is small and obviously
  correct, and opposed if the patch looks tricky. Double check
  that the routine behavior (the "good" cases) stay completely
  unchanged (in particular, be aware of not allowing new
  exceptions to occur).
- if you want to backport a security bug fix to 2.5, ALWAYS
  consider 2.4 as well. They are in the same state, and should
  get the same care (2.3 is closed for good). Of course, it
  might be that the bug doesn't exist in 2.4.
- ALWAYS notify security at python.org. For one thing, they might
  offer advise on how to proceed, but also, they might consider
  publishing an advisory, and/or notifying some CERT. Notification
  is in particular necessary if you are unfamiliar with security
  issues, how they get classified, and so on - so do ask the
  experts. (and no, I'm not one of them :-)

Regards,
Martin