[Python-Dev] Core projects for Summer of Code

Guilherme Polo ggpolo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 23:43:07 CET 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 7:23 PM, Daniel Fetchinson
<fetchinson at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hey guys/gals
>>
>> Summer of Code is ramping up.  Every year the common complaint is that not
>> enough Python core projects get proposed by students, and of course a big
>> reason for that is often the only encouragement we offer prospective
>> students is a link to the PEP index.
>>
>> So let's make this year different.
>>
>> Accepted students are paid a total of $4500 to work for roughly 30 hours a
>> week, 12 weeks, on their proposed project.
>>
>> The challenge is finding project ideas for them that could reasonably occupy
>> them for the entire Summer and which the results of their work can be
>> demonstrated.  They're being paid for specific projects so "Spend the Summer
>> fixing bugs on the tracker" is a no-go, and Google has outlined that Summer
>> of Code is about code, not documentation.
>>
>> I've seen and heard that a lot of work is still needed on
>> http://svn.python.org/view/python/trunk both during the 3.1 release cycle,
>> optimization possible all over the place.  It'd be great if those of you
>> working closely with this can shout out some ideas, brainstorm a bit.
>>
>> PSF was announced as one of the mentoring orgs today, this week before
>> student applications are open is for students to talk to their prospective
>> mentors and iron out the wrinkles in their plans, so there's not much time
>> to get core project ideas together.
>
> How about porting PIL to 3.0?
> There were many such requests on python-list and image-sig (including mine :))

I have ported it to the stage where its tests passes (which are far
from covering all the code) and some of my own tests, there is a git
repo on the image-sig that points to it. I wasn't really careful with
some of the things (and I would even consider redoing some of them),
but only one or two people got a copy of it so apparently people don't
want/need it on python 3.0 just yet (not it alone at least).

> Cheers,
> Daniel
>

> --
> Psss, psss, put it down! - http://www.cafepress.com/putitdown