[Python-Dev] Core projects for Summer of Code

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Mar 18 22:24:25 CET 2009

Hello Arc,

Arc Riley <arcriley <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I've seen and heard that a lot of work is still needed on http://svn.python.org
/view/python/trunk both during the 3.1 release cycle, optimization possible all
over the place.

Well, first, it's too late for 3.1, which will (should) be out before July.
Second, all the eagerly needed optimization work on py3k has now been done.

A quick skim through the bug tracker's "performance" and "feature request"
tickets did not seem to yield anything interesting and big enough for a GSOC
project (although I could have overlooked something).

Rather than performance, I think some more interesting areas would be related to
some of the standard library modules. For instance, the unittest module could
welcome some new features (test discovery, support for skipped tests, probably
others that I'm forgetting about). Since this is pure Python stuff not needing
any deep experience with the interpreter's internals, it would be appropriate
for an outsider.

Regards

Antoine.