[Python-Dev] What level of detail wanted for import and the language reference?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 14:55:53 CET 2009

Steve Holden wrote:
> Why not just put a section in both places that says "can't be bothered
> to spell this out right now" and put a URL in referring to this thread
> on Google ... that appears to have been the traditional approach to
> import semantics :)

Well, first we point to Guido's original package essay, then to PEP 302,
then to PEP 338, then to PEP 366... and then we count the number of
people that slogged through all that without needing to take our shoes
off :)

On a more helpful note, Brett, you may find the write-up I did of the
import system a year or two ago helpful:
http://svn.python.org/view/sandbox/trunk/userref/ODF/Chapter07_ModulesAndApplications.odt?view=log

(some parts are a little dated now obviously, but you may still find it
better than starting with a blank page)

Cheers,
Nick.