[Python-Dev] PEP 377 - allow __enter__() methods to skip the statement body

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 23:19:07 CET 2009

Guido van Rossum wrote:
>> Hell, I largely wrote PEP 377 to try to get out of having to document
>> these semantic problems with the with statement - if I'm having trouble
>> getting *python-dev* to grasp the problem, what hope do other users of
>> Python have?
>
> Hell, if you can't come up with a real use case, why bother? :-)

I figured I'd try for a solution that didn't offend my sense of
aesthetics before caving in and working out how to better document the
limitations of the status quo :)

> Perhaps you could address my worry about introducing an obscure
> BaseException subclass that will forever add to the weight of the list
> of built-in exceptions in all documentation?

Since this is really just a matter of the aesthetics of the underlying
design from my point of view rather than solving a real world problem, I
don't have a good answer for you.

In the absence of reports of actual problems caused by this limitation,
should I consider the PEP rejected?

Cheers,
Nick.