[Python-Dev] Integrate BeautifulSoup into stdlib?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 23:42:28 CET 2009

2009/3/13 Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com>:
> Paul Moore wrote:
>> 2009/3/13 Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk>:
>>> If a decent package management system *was* included, this wouldn't be an
>>> issue..
>>
>> Remember that a "decent package management system" needs to handle
>> filling in all the forms and arranging approvals to get authorisation
>> for packages when you download them.
>>
>> And no, I'm *not* joking. People in a locked-down corporate
>> environment really do benefit from just having to get the OK for
>> "Python", and then knowing that they have all they need.
>
> You are plainly joking:  nothing in Python should know or care about the
> various bureaucratic insanities in some workplaces.

I am not. What I *am* doing is saying (obliquely, I admit) is that for
a package management system to be "decent enough" for stripping down
the stdlib to not be an issue, it has to address these points (which
clearly it can't). In other words, the problems inherent in
restricting the stdlib aren't ones which are solvable by a package
management system.

Paul.