[Python-Dev] Integrate BeautifulSoup into stdlib?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 11:47:25 CET 2009

2009/3/13 Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk>:
> If a decent package management system *was* included, this wouldn't be an
> issue..

Remember that a "decent package management system" needs to handle
filling in all the forms and arranging approvals to get authorisation
for packages when you download them.

And no, I'm *not* joking. People in a locked-down corporate
environment really do benefit from just having to get the OK for
"Python", and then knowing that they have all they need.

Even ignoring the above, your "decent package management system" has
to deal with systems with no internet connectivity - just copying the
Python installer onto my pen drive to put on my Mum's laptop so I can
write some admin jobs for her, is a lot easier than having to pick and
choose from PyPI what to download before I start.

-1 on slimming down the stdlib.
(OTOH, I've no problem with seeing an improved package system - just
don't use it as an excuse to cripple the stdlib!)

Paul