[Python-Dev] Python-Dev] wait time [was: Ext4 data loss

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Fri Mar 13 03:00:47 CET 2009

On 13Mar2009 00:35, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
| R. David Murray <rdmurray <at> bitdance.com> writes:
| > Seriously, though, the point is that IMO an application should not be
| > calling fsync unless it provides a way for that behavior to be controlled
| > by the user.
|
| But whether an application does it or not is none of Python's business, is it?
| What is the disagreement exactly?

When the app is written in python, it bears on python's business. The
dispute seems to me to be largely (a) should python libraries call
fsync() and the like on their own, and when (b) whether there should be
class methods to control this. For myself, the answer for (a) is broadly
no and for (b) preferably yes, in which case my answer to (a) becomes
"default to no fsyncness unless asked".

Then the behaviour of the app becomes something to criticise or not
and python can go in its was with a clear conscience.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

DRM: the functionality of refusing to function. - Richard Stallman