[Python-Dev] wait time [was: Ext4 data loss]

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Fri Mar 13 01:10:10 CET 2009

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 at 22:09, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>> Let me try some examples.
>>
>> Suppose I'm running my applications on a laptop and I don't want the
>> disk to be spinning continually while I work.  I'm willing to take the
>> risk of data loss in order to extend my battery life.
>
> So when you select "Save" in your application, would you like the data
> to be saved, or would you accept that they get lost? If the latter,
> what kind of interaction would you perform with your application to
> indicate that you *do* want the data to appear on disk?

I accept that if I have told my laptop to only sync to disk every five
minutes (as I have at times done), and it crashes (eg: the battery runs
out), then anything I did during those last five minutes will be lost.
If the disk then spins up more often than I told it to, I get very
annoyed.

--
R. David Murray           http://www.bitdance.com