[Python-Dev] wait time [was: Ext4 data loss]

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Fri Mar 13 00:29:00 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 08:25:59PM +0000, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> However, I also think that any parameter to flush() or close() is a bad idea,
> since it can't be used when flushing and closing is implicit. For example when
> the file is used in a "with" statement.

I think the existing os.fsync() and O_SYNC functionality is fine for
new applications and packages to write data securely or not.  We
should just consider whether the stdlib APIs don't make it impossible
to write data securely, e.g. dumbdbm's internal file object, and if
so, is it worth fixing?

--amk