[Python-Dev] Ext4 data loss

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 23:57:13 CET 2009

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> auto-delete is one of the nice features of tempfile.  Another feature
>> which is entirely appropriate to this usage, though, though, is creation
>> of a non-conflicting filename.
>
> Ok. In that use case, however, it is completely irrelevant whether the
> tempfile module calls fsync. After it has generated the non-conflicting
> filename, it's done.

If you're saying that it shouldn't call fsync automatically I'll agree
to that.  The message thread I was replying to seemed to say that
tempfiles didn't need to support fsync because they will be useless
after a system crash.  I'm just refuting that by showing that it is
useful to call fsync on tempfiles as one of the steps in preserving the
data in another file.

-Toshio