[Python-Dev] Ext4 data loss

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Mar 12 12:54:21 CET 2009

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 01:03:13 pm Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > The tempfile module would be another example.
>
> Do you really need your temporary files to survive system crashes? ;)

It depends on what you mean by "temporary".

Applications like OpenOffice can sometimes recover from an application
crash or even a systems crash and give you the opportunity to restore
the temporary files that were left lying around. Firefox does the same
thing -- after a crash, it offers you the opportunity to open the
websites you had open before. Konquorer does much the same, except it
can only recover from application crashes, not system crashes. I can't
tell you how many times such features have saved my hide!

--
Steven D'Aprano