[Python-Dev] Ext4 data loss

Neil Hodgson nyamatongwe at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 22:11:08 CET 2009

Antoine Pitrou:

> It depends on what you call "ACLs". It does copy the chmod permission bits.

    Access Control Lists are fine grained permissions. Perhaps you
want to allow Sam to read a file and for Ted to both read and write
it. These permissions should not need to be reset every time you
modify the file.

> As for owner and group, I think there is a very good reason that it doesn't copy
> them: under Linux, only root can change these properties.

   Since I am a member of both "staff" and "everyone", I can set group
on one of my files from "staff" to "everyone" or back again:

$ chown :everyone x.pl
$ ls -la x.pl
-rwxrwxrwx  1 nyamatongwe  everyone  269 Mar 11  2008 x.pl
$ chown :staff x.pl
$ ls -la x.pl
-rwxrwxrwx  1 nyamatongwe  staff  269 Mar 11  2008 x.pl

   Neil