[Python-Dev] Deprecated __cmp__ and total ordering

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Wed Mar 11 03:29:30 CET 2009

[Michael Foord]
> > Is there something you don't like about this one: http://code.activestate.com/recipes/576529/

[Mart Sõmermaa ]
> Yes -- it is not in the standard library. As I said, eventually all the 15,000 matches
> on Google Code need to update their code and copy that snippet to their
> util/, write tests for it etc.

FWIW, my version is http://code.activestate.com/recipes/576685/

If you want to push for inclusion in the standard library, I would support
your effort.  The basic idea isn't controversial, but there probably would
be a lengthy discussion on what to call it (total_ordering is one possibilty)
and where to put it (functools is a possibility).

Raymond