[Python-Dev] Addition of further status options to tracker

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue Mar 10 04:39:51 CET 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 20:25, Tennessee Leeuwenburg
<tleeuwenburg at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am beginning reviewing some more issues in the tracker. I think it would
> be useful to have the following status options (new status options marked
> with a '+'):
>   Open: Means that the issue has been created and not further reviewed
>   + Request Approved: Means that the issue is marked as worth further
> development by the community
>   + Specification Approved: Means that the functionality to be developed is
> written down in some form, and agreed at least in general terms (preferably
> in fairly specific terms)
>   + Under Development: Means that an implementation is currently under
> development
>   Pending Feedback: Means that work is suspended pending feedback
>   + Under Final Review: Means that a patch has been submitted and may be a
> flag that core developers can usefully review the work done without having
> to revisit the whole process
>   Closed: Means that the issue is either suspended indefinitely or has been
> resolved (see resolution value)

 I assume you want all of this for the Status field, correct?

As for the options, some of these overlap with the Stage field. For
instance, if something has been set to any stage other than
"accepted/rejected" it means it needs to be looked into, so that duplicates
your "Request Approved" status. Similar thing with the review stages and
"Under Final Review".

But a general "under development" status would probably be worth adding.
That way if an issue is "open" it needs attention, "Under development" means
someone is working on a solution, "pending" means someone is blocking the
issue for more information, and "closed" means closed.

One thing to watch out for, Tennessee, is getting too specific. Like your
"Request Approved" and "Specification Approved" just seems too heavy-handed
to my tastes. Personally, I prefer to make sure the issue workflow to be
somewhat simple so that people don't end up arguing over stuff like whether
something has been specified well enough to have it set to "Spec Approved"
even if someone else disagrees (which you know would happen).

-Brett