[Python-Dev] Forgotten Py3.0 change to remove Queue.empty() and Queue.full()

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Mar 7 10:14:11 CET 2009

>> I still fail to see the rationale for removing these
>> two methods.
>
> I believe there was a thread (in January 2008) with a decision to keep
> qsize() but to drop empty() and full().

That's something different: even if there was a decision, it doesn't
mean that there was a rationale, and that the rationale was correct.
I see that you proposed to remove the methods because they are
unreliable. I still think this classification is incorrect: they are
*not* unreliable. They do what they do correctly and reliably.

Looking at the discussion (on python-3000), I don't see that an
actual decision was made. You proposed it, there was a *lot* of
objections. Guido proposed a compromise (without indicating whether
he was in favor of the removal in the first place). There was then
still opposition both to leaving qsize, and to change anything at
all - and then you removed the methods.

At this point, I do request that the patch is reverted completely
(i.e. that the documentation is restored), and that the qualification
"not reliable!" is removed from the doc strings of the methods, as
it is factually incorrect.

Regards,
Martin