[Python-Dev] running the tests...

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 12:23:53 CET 2009

Georg Brandl wrote:
> Chris Withers schrieb:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I found the very brief snippet on test-running at:
>>
>> http://python.org/dev/faq/#how-to-test-a-patch
>>
>> ....so thought I'd ask here:
>>
>> - what's the canonical way to run "all the tests"?
>
> Assuming UNIXy OSes: make test, or if you want to save a bit of time,
> make quicktest.
>
>> - what's the canonical way to run the tests for just the package being
>> patched? (I'm assuming it's a standard library package here...)
>
> In 90% of all cases, the test suite is called like the module, so
>
>    ./python Lib/test/regrtest.py test_foo
>
> where foo is the module name should do it.  In the other 10%, you'll have
> to look around a bit for the tests.  But since patching should always
> include adding a test, it's necessary anyway ;)

My personal preferences:

Thorough: ./python -m test.regrtest -uall
Typical: ./python -m test.regrtest
Specific: ./python -m test.regrtest test_mod1 test_mod2

(enabling the relevant test resources via -uall or something more
specific is especially important when working on things like the
networking code or the audio support - many of the relevant tests are
skipped by default)

Cheers,
Nick.