[Python-Dev] patch commit policies (was [issue4308] repr of httplib.IncompleteRead is stupid)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 12:19:30 CET 2009

Chris Withers wrote:
> That aside, is it actually a python-wide policy to *forbid* patching
> older releases where the patch isn't security-related?
>
> I can understand the "no more releases unless there are security
> problems", but what's the harm in applying a patch to an old version
> branch on the off chance that a security release might be made some time?

Precisely because if we're doing a security release, we want to be sure
that that the *only* change that gets included is the fix to the
security problem. If there are other changes hanging around on the
branch, then the release would need to go at least a single release
candidate cycle (which we don't want to need to do for security releases
on old branches).

Cheers,
Nick.