[Python-Dev] Forgotten Py3.0 change to remove Queue.empty() and Queue.full()

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Thu Mar 5 02:30:50 CET 2009

>> Just noticed that the empty() and full() methods were still there.
>> IIRC, we agreed to take them out (but leaving qsize() exposed).
>> The docs entries and test cases were taken out, but the actual
>> methods were accidentally left in.
>
> If so, the only thing to do is deprecate it in 3.1 for removal in 3.2.

I recommend adding a warning to 3.0.2 and removing in 3.1.
Waiting for more 3.x uptake doesn't serve our users well.
IIRC, that was the rationale for cmp() removal in 3.0.1.
Even in 2.x, these methods were documented as being
unreliable and were removed from the 3.0 docs entirely.
We discussed removing them and most of the work was done.

Guido, any thoughts?

Raymond