[Python-Dev] PEP 372 -- Adding an ordered directory to collections ready for pronouncement

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Mar 4 12:48:39 CET 2009

Tennessee Leeuwenburg wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> First a comment on-thread:
>   I can't wait to get an ordered dictionary in the stdlib! The
> discussion regarding suggestions for the name appears to be ongoing.
> What about the name 'orderdict' instead of 'ordereddict'?. It doesn't
> contain the double-d, is slightly shorter, and I think a little more
> typo-friendly. Just my 2c, please feel free to ignore. OrderDict would
> of course be the alternative-casing version.
>
> Secondly, regarding this list:
>   I couldn't find a lot of documentation regarding list culture, so I'm
> quite nervous about the potential for stepping in where I'm not welcome
> before I have spent a lot of time 'spinning up' on this issues of this
> list. I am interested in learning more about how Python is written and,
> if I can, providing some assistance to that task. However it's going to
> be a long, slow process for me. At the same time, I do have firsthand
> knowledge of how hard it can be to get people to contribute to anything
> to any degree, and as such don't want to be a part of the problem by
> being too tentative in introducing myself.
>
> I would appreciate any pointers regarding what is appreciated on this
> list and what is not. Hopefully, over time I will be able to make some
> form of useful, concrete code contributions in the form of patches or
> documentation, but I do realise it will take a lot of hands-on learning
> first. Trying to grok the discussions on this list seems like a big part
> of that.

Just dive in. We'll savage you when you get out of line :^).

Seriously, as long as it's about development *of* rather than *with*
Python, you should be OK. A couple of weeks lurking (or reading the list
history) will tell you most things you need to know.

regards
 Steve

takes-all-sorts-to-make-a-world-ly y'rs  - steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119