[Python-Dev] PEP 372 -- Adding an ordered directory to collections ready for pronouncement

Gisle Aas gisle at activestate.com
Wed Mar 4 10:42:30 CET 2009

On Mar 4, 2009, at 9:01 , Glenn Linderman wrote:

> On approximately 3/3/2009 11:22 PM, came the following characters
> from the keyboard of Raymond Hettinger:

>> +1
>
> -1
>
> Introducing the hypothetical sorteddict would serve to reduce the
> likelihood of ordereddict being interpreted as sorteddict among the
> small percentage of people that actually read the two lines that
> might mention it in the documentation, but wouldn't significantly
> aid the intuition of people who first encounter it in someone else's
> code.
>
> And without an implementation, it would otherwise be documentation
> noise, not signal.

Instead of introducing a sorteddict I would instead suggest that the
future should bring an odict with a sort method; possibly also
keys_sorted and items_sorted methods.

I think this would simplify things and putting these methods into the
odict documentation makes it clearer how it actually behaves for
people that just scan the method index to get an impression of what
the object is about.

Regards,
Gisle