[Python-Dev] PEP 372 -- Adding an ordered directory to collections ready for pronouncement

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Wed Mar 4 08:22:22 CET 2009

>> Perhaps the terminology should be
>>
>>   ordereddict -- what we have here
>>
>>   sorteddict -- hypothetical future type that keeps
>>                 itself sorted in key order

+1

> FIFOdict ?  Yeah, that blows the capitalization scheme, way, way out.

Issues:
* The popitem() method is LIFO.
* In a non-popping context, there is no OUT.  It just stores.
* FIFO is more suggestive of queue behavior which does not apply here.
* Stores to existing keys don't go at the end; they leave the order unchanged.

FWIW, PEP 372 has links to seven other independent implementations and they all have names that are some variant spelling
OrderedDict except for one which goes by the mysterious name of StableDict.

Am still +1 on painting the class green with pink polka dots, but I'm starting to appreciate why others are insisting on pink with
green polka dots ;-)

Raymond