[Python-Dev] asyncore fixes in Python 2.6 broke Zope's version of medusa

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Tue Mar 3 22:17:57 CET 2009

On 08:46 pm, guido at python.org wrote:
>This seems to be the crux of the problem with asyncore, ever since it
>was added to the stdlib -- there's no real API, so every change
>potentially breaks something. I wish we could start over with a proper
>design under a new name.

Might I suggest "reactor"... or possibly "twisted", as that new name?
;-)

(Sorry, I was trying to avoid this thread, but that was an opening I
could drive a truck through).

In all seriousness, I seem to recall that Thomas Wouters was interested
in doing integrating some portion of Twisted core into the standard
library as of last PyCon.  I mention him specifically by name in the
hopes that it will jog his memory.

At the very least, this might serve as a basis for an abstract API for
asyncore:

http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/8.2.0/api/twisted.internet.interfaces.IProtocol.html