[Python-Dev] PEP 376

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 21:35:50 CEST 2009

2009/6/30 P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com>:
> At 07:57 PM 6/29/2009 +0200, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> If no one objects, I'd like to push PEP 376 in the "accepted" status
>> and go ahead with its implementation,
>> with continuous feedback at Distutils-SIG as we did to build it.
>
> I do have a question about the current draft...  Do zipped distributions use
> EGG-INFO or a project-version.egg-info?  This isn't spelled out in the PEP,
> although I get the general idea that the EGG-INFO format isn't supported,
> and thus the PEP and API do not support existing .egg files.  This should
> probably be made clear, if that's the intention.

The intention is to have only one standard for the egg-info, I have
explained it in this section:

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0376/#egg-info-becomes-a-directory

previous formats will not be supported but that won't break anything of course
since the new APIs will work only over the distribution installed with
the new version
of distutils.

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org