[Python-Dev] PEP 376

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 21:19:07 CEST 2009

2009/6/30 Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org>:

>>> I think this isn't quite the process. In the past, every PEP required
>>> BDFL pronouncement, which you should now seek.
>>
>> Agreed. While Guido is highly likely to just accept the distutils-sig
>> consensus on something like this, that doesn't eliminate the need for
>> him to actually *say* that he is approving the PEP on that basis.
>
> Sure. :-)
>
> So what *is* the distutils-sig consensus?

The consensus is to have one and only one way to install distributions
in Python,
and a way to retrieve information on installed distributions, and their files.

> And is there consensus outside of it? (Remember the ipaddr debacle.
> It's easy for people to miss an important PEP.)

I am not sure who you are thinking about,

I am blogging a lot on the topic and I am trying to get key players
involved in this, like os packagers etc.

We've built this PEP in respect with existing tools like setuptools,
etc, and I am sending mails at python-dev
to make sure evereyone involved in python development has a chance to
provide some feedback,

Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org