[Python-Dev] PEP 376

Kevin Teague kevin at bud.ca
Tue Jun 23 03:41:21 CEST 2009

> A plural class name looks strange (I think it's the first time I see
> one in
> the CPython codebase). How about another name? (DistributionPool,
> DistributionMap, WorkingSet etc.).
>
> Sure, WorkingSet is nice, it's the name used in setuptools,

A WorkingSet and a DistributionDirectories (or whatever it gets named
to) are different things though, no?

A WorkingSet is "a collection of active distributions", where each
distribution might come from different distribution directories:

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/PkgResources#workingset-objects

Where as DistributionDirectories is a dictionary of locations where
distributions are installed. The WorkingSet may be comprised of
distributions from several different locations, and each location may
contain the same or different versions of the same distribution.

(as far as I understand things ...)

I can't really think of a better name for a dict of distribution
locations ... but then I'm not averse to a pluralized class name.

Overall though, I think PEP 376 is starting to look very good!