[Python-Dev] run time error anlysis of python source code

Daniel Diniz ajaksu at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 01:05:30 CEST 2009

Hi David,

<omega_force2003 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> It appears that one possibility of investigation into the development of a
> safety-critical variant of the python language

There is some interesting work related to a safety-critical variant of Python.

> would be to conduct run time
> error analysis of the source code that is responsible for producing the
> python language.

There's been some effort into this too, and the Coverity and Klocwork
based fixes could also be of interest to you.

> Therefore, I will now conduct these run time error
> analysis of the python source code as if the python environment itself was
> to be utilized as a FADEC controller within an aircraft engine.

Nice, what tools do you have available for this? Any papers that would
be a good start on the topic?

> have already conducted some analysis already and it appears to be some
> concern with memory management within Python.  I will redouble my efforts
> and determine if I am correct and as a promise.  I will give my findings to
> everyone to enjoy if they so want it.  I will also give the correct source
> if anyone would want it for their own purposes.  The source code that I will
> be evaluating is the one responsible for the newer variants of Python 3.0.

You want the py3k branch. BTW, take a look at Brett Cannon's work on
Python security, as well as tav's.

> I believe that I will name this new variant of the python language as
>
> Apocalypse Python !!

Oh.

Apocalypse Python !!, you say? Maybe something that conveys a security
message or anything that doesn't relate to the end of the world could
work better.

> I will also develop a web-page for the development and evolution of
> Apocalypse Python.

Ah.

Hm.

David? Don't. I mean, read the mailing lists, take a look at open bug
reports, read the community blogs. You'll get to know how things flow,
you'll figure a nice way to relate your ideas to what people are
discussing and past experiences. Make small contributions that bring
us closer to... Apocalypse Python !!, then you'll have an easier time
to push the idea of going the whole way towards it.

Or just do it, dunno, if it makes you feel better go for it, we all
have our own issues. That's why we have an issue tracker, it's soooo
nice, wanna see it???

> If anyone has any questions, please let me know !!!

OK, I promise.

Daniel