[Python-Dev] draft pep: backwards compatibility

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri Jun 19 13:22:10 CEST 2009

Michael Foord <fuzzyman <at> voidspace.org.uk> writes:

> And this is why expressing a finite list of things we guarantee won't
> change is a virtually impossible task - unless one of you is
> volunteering to write an official spec for Python and its libraries...

Well, we *can* enumerate a list of things that are guaranteed not to change -
it's just that the list will be "completely incomplete", and the rest will rely
on application of common sense rather than formal guarantees.

And it actually more or less exists: it's Python's official documentation,
combined with a bit of common sense when interpreting its written text.

Regards

Antoine.