[Python-Dev] draft pep: backwards compatibility

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Fri Jun 19 13:14:55 CEST 2009

Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> <glyph <at> divmod.com> writes:
>
>> This is a false dichotomy; for core developers, the list needs to be
>> exhaustive.  Everything that can change needs to be described as either
>> compatible or incompatible.
>>

> How do you enumerate "everything that can change"? It does not look like a
> finite set to me (but perhaps I'm wrong); and certainly not like a set of a size
> reasonable enough to be enumerated in a human-readable way :)

And this is why expressing a finite list of things we guarantee won't
change is a virtually impossible task - unless one of you is
volunteering to write an official spec for Python and its libraries...
:-) (Something that would not be bad IMO - just a long and difficult
task, *especially* if you include the library along with language
semantics and APIs).

Michael

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog