[Python-Dev] SSL Certificate Validation

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 21:42:59 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 3:23 PM, "Martin v. Löwis"<martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> I have a few questions about validating SSL certificates. From what I
>> gather, this validation occurs in the OpenSSL code called from _ssl.c.
>> Is this correct?
>
> This question is really off-topic for python-dev. As a python-dev
> poster, you should do research upfront, and only post on what you
> consider facts.

Martin, I told him to ask his question about _ssl internals on
python-dev as he is new, and looking to work on some of the
internals/make a patch for core. I didn't think that asking internals
questions was a faux pas for the list, especially as he's looking to
submit a patch to core.

>> Where I'm going with this is I think all this checking needs to be part
>> of certificate validation in the ssl module. If it isn't yet, I'd be
>> happy to work on a patch for it. Please let me know what you think.
>
> I think you need to familiarize yourself much more with OpenSSL.

I don't think that's called for, he is attempting to familiarize
himself and simply inquiring about some of the internals. I'm sure
he'll know plenty by the time the patch is more fully formed.

-jesse