[Python-Dev] FINAL PROPULSION OPEN SOURCE ENGINE VARIANT FORTHE F-35 JOINT STRIKE FIGHTER

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 03:30:29 CEST 2009

Raymond Hettinger wrote:

> [Matthew Wilkes]
>> Oh, I didn't mean they should use proprietary software, just that in
>> my experience the kind of people who are active in open source are
>> quite anti-war, green, etc.  There are notable exceptions, but I know
>> people who worry that their work will have military applications, and
>> who turn down projects because of it.
>
> I question the whole notion of using open source in military weapons.
> It seems like a rather basic violation of operational security.  Perhaps
> your enemies will exploit your bugs instead of nicely reporting them
> and submitting patches on SourceForge ;-)

As Guido said, even the military are aware that there are major problems
with the idea of security through obscurity. Plus most defence forces
around the world are just as interested in saving a few bucks on
software costs as any other organisation, particularly if they can
reduce their reliance on a foreign software vendor in the process.

As to the existence of open source developers that are willing to work
with the military... as Matthew said, while they may not be particularly
common, I can definitely say that they're around ;)

Cheers,
Nick.