[Python-Dev] python sendmsg()/recvmsg() implementation

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Tue Jun 9 17:10:26 CEST 2009

On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 16:46:54 +0200, Kálmán Gergely <kalman.gergely at duodecad.hu> wrote:
>Hello, my name is Greg.
>
>I've just started using python after many years of C programming, and I'm
>also new to the list. I wanted to clarify this
>first, so that maybe I will get a little less beating for my stupidity :)

Welcome!

> [snip]
>
>Browsing the net I've found a patch to the python core
>(http://bugs.python.org/issue1194378), dated 2005.
>
>First of all, I would like to ask you guys, whether you know of any way of
>doing this FD passing magic, or that you know
>of any 3rd party module / patch / anything that can do this for me.

Aside from the patch in the tracker, there are several implementations of
these APIs as third-party extension modules.

>Since I'm fairly familiar with C and (not that much, but I feel the power)
>python, I would take the challenge of writing
>it, given that the above code is still somewhat usable. If all else fails I
>would like to have your help to guide me through
>this process.

What would be great is if you could take the patch in the tracker and get
it into shape so that it is suitable for inclusion.  This would involve
three things, I think:

  1. Write unit tests for the functionality (since the patch itself provides
     none)
  2. Update the patch so that it again applies cleanly against trunk
  3. Add documentation for the new APIs

Once this is done, you can get a committer to look at it and either provide
more specific feedback or apply it.

Thanks,

Jean-Paul