[Python-Dev] Roundup keywords for bug tracking

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 17:07:13 CEST 2009

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 4:07 AM, Daniel Diniz <ajaksu at gmail.com> wrote:
> anatoly techtonik wrote:
>>
>> It is impossible to edit roundup keywords and this takes away the
>> flexibility in selecting bugs related to a module/function/test or
>> some other aspect of development. For example, I need to gather all
>> subprocess bugs in one query and things that won't be fixed in
>> deprecated os.popen() into another. In Trac I would use "subprocess"
>> and "os.popen" keywords. On ohloh I would add similar tags (if bugs
>> were software) without, but I can't do anything about Python roundup.
>> Is there any reason for such restriction?
>
> Well, keywords are used as a very restricted set of tags, so only
> users in the Developer group can create them. We've discussed free
> form issue tags that any user can create or edit in #python-dev and
> tracker-discuss[0]. I'm pretty sure they'd cover your use-case. I've
> submitted a patch to Rietveld[1], but it seems I never filled it in
> the meta-tracker, oopsie.

>From [0] discussion it seems that tags are planned to be a replacement
for component or keywords field, but in my vision they should be just
tags that doesn't have any specific meaning or administration
interface. Autocomplete with ajax lookup is nice, but no drop-down
lists etc.

I made some comments in Rietveld at [1], but was unable to test it
live, because [2] is offline.

> If you (or anyone else) want to test-drive the tags feature, I can
> create an account in the experimental tracker[2] (which needs some
> attention anyway). I should be able to submit the patch to the
> meta-tracker during the weekend.

Hope this went well. I would definitely like to see how far this
feature from how I imagine it, but b.p.o. deployment could be a better
alternative for a real testing.

> Also, if you would like to bookmark arbitrary sets of issues, the
> bookmarklet and form in http://static.bot.bio.br/tool.html may be of
> help. You can paste the ids into the search page's ID field and create
> a query for a given (static) set of issues.

Seems like it can come in handy. Thanks.

--
anatoly t.