[Python-Dev] Status of 2.7 and 3.2

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Sun Jun 7 23:37:35 CEST 2009

On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 at 21:55, Michael Foord wrote:
> R. David Murray wrote:
>>  [snip...]
>> >  By the policy you propose, we could not have released 2.6 in October
>> >  2008, which we really really wanted to because Apple wanted us to.
>>
>>  I don't think the 2.6 release date is relevant to this discussion,
>>  since 3.x hadn't been released at all at that point.  What I want to
>>  avoid is people writing new code for 2.7 instead of 3.1 because they
>>  want to take advantage of a nifty new feature that 3.1 doesn't have.
>>
> But 3.1 is in feature freeze (py3k trunk) and it is not possible to check-in
> code for 3.2. Following this policy it would mean a feature freeze on trunk
> for an indefinite period of time.

As I said on IRC, that's not what I'm advocating.  I'm advocating having
3.2 come out before 2.7, so that the new post-3.1 features get released to
the public in 3.2 first, before appearing in 2.7.  (Although "first" could
alternatively mean the same day, if the community were up to for that).

But like I said I'm not attached to the idea, just advocating it ;)

--David