[Python-Dev] Mercurial, linefeeds, and Visual Studio

Dirkjan Ochtman dirkjan at ochtman.nl
Thu Jun 4 17:03:28 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 4:20 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> Silly question, but given that Mercurial itself does *no* conversion,
> and CRLF is the only valid form for that file, why shouldn't the file
> be checked into the repository with CRLF endings, and that's the end
> of it (apart from misconfigured win32text setups on the client)?

That's certainly a valid setup, and I wasn't suggesting otherwise. I
have no experience with .sln files, and I haven't really used
win32text either; I was just commenting on the general facilities of
Mercurial wrt these kinds of issues.

> Ideally, the history should be imported with CRLF throughout, which is
> a task for the migration process. If that's too hard because of
> limitations in the available conversion tools, then maybe the
> limitation has to be accepted that pre-conversion copies of the file
> have incorrect line endings and a manual fiox is committed right after
> the switchover.

Importing it with CRLF throughout would certainly be possible. I'll
add a section to my draft PEP.

> Essentially, pcbuild.sln is a binary file, and should be treated as
> such. Maybe it's an error in the Subversion setup that it's treated as
> text at all...

Yes, it certainly seems that way.

Cheers,

Dirkjan