[Python-Dev] Mercurial, linefeeds, and Visual Studio

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 16:20:56 CEST 2009

2009/6/4 Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan at ochtman.nl>:
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Jason R. Coombs <jaraco at jaraco.com> wrote:
>> I wanted to share this with the community in case anyone else runs into this issue.  Also, if there's a recommended procedure for addressing this issue (and others that might arise due to non-native line endings), I'd be interested to hear it.
>
> Mercurial comes with a win32text extension that helps resolve issues
> like these. It allows you to specify in the .hg/hgrc that .sln files
> should always be expanded to CRLF.

Silly question, but given that Mercurial itself does *no* conversion,
and CRLF is the only valid form for that file, why shouldn't the file
be checked into the repository with CRLF endings, and that's the end
of it (apart from misconfigured win32text setups on the client)?

Ideally, the history should be imported with CRLF throughout, which is
a task for the migration process. If that's too hard because of
limitations in the available conversion tools, then maybe the
limitation has to be accepted that pre-conversion copies of the file
have incorrect line endings and a manual fiox is committed right after
the switchover.

Doesn't help the current Mercurial mirrors, of course, but at least
this report alerts us to a consideration for the final switchover.

Essentially, pcbuild.sln is a binary file, and should be treated as
such. Maybe it's an error in the Subversion setup that it's treated as
text at all...

Paul.