[Python-Dev] Issues with process and discussions (Re: Issues with Py3.1's new ipaddr)

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Jun 4 02:46:46 CEST 2009

Antoine Pitrou writes:
 > Terry Reedy <tjreedy <at> udel.edu> writes:
 > >
 > > I watched and was greatly impressed by the video demo of Google's new
 > > Wave collaborative communication system.  I believe it would/will help
 > > with some of the chronic problems we (and others) have.
 >
 > I really don't think technical systems are an answer to social
 > issues. It's a flaw of the engineering mindset.

That depends on the definition of "problem".  For example, if the
problem is "half our people detest web interfaces and want to discuss
issues by email", then "Roundup: nosy list" *is* a technical system
that is an answer.

I agree that Terry wasn't particularly specific about what impressed
him and how it would help for what problem.  But rather than just say
"technology is not a universal answer", we should ask "what problem
does this address?"  (Personally, I'm satisfied from the example Terry
gave that he had the "summarizing the opinions of those whose opinions
we respect in this domain" problem in mind, and I think there *are*
technical solutions to that.  Terry?)