[Python-Dev] Issues with process and discussions (Re: Issues with Py3.1's new ipaddr)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Jun 3 21:12:49 CEST 2009

> The thing that stands out about the earlier tracker/mailing list
> discussions is how very few people affirmatively wanted ipaddr added
> to the standard library.  Most people thought it sounded ok in
> principle, didn't care, or thought it was not a great idea but didn't
> feel like arguing about it.

I specifically thought "manipulating IP addresses is a frequent task,
and probably everybody's requirements will be different. So starting
with this library is as good as starting with any other - we can add
use cases as we go". I was in favor of ipaddr because his author
offered to maintain it. I then didn't have the time to review it
myself, and was happy that others picked it up.

Regards,
Martin