[Python-Dev] Issues with process and discussions (Re: Issues with Py3.1's new ipaddr)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 19:42:48 CEST 2009

2009/6/3  <glyph at divmod.com>:
> So, here are my recommendations:
>
>  1. Use the tracker for discussing tickets, so that it's easy to refer back
> to a previous point in the discussion, and so that people working on those
> tickets can easily find your commentary.
>  2. Use the mailing list for drawing attention to these discussions if they
> are of general interest, especially if the discussion is time- critical.  In
> this case, an announcement "You have six weeks to review ipaddr now until
> its inclusion is permanent, anyone interested please look at issue 3959."
>  3. If you have an opinion, put your +1/+0/-0/-1 on a line by itself at the
> top of your message, so that it's easy for newcomers to the discussion to
> get a general feel.

Mostly, I agree, but I definitely disagree, I'm afraid, on the use of
the tracker for discussions. To keep track of discussions on a ticket,
I have to personally keep a list of the tickets I'm interested in,
check back regularly to see if there's anything new, and keep a mental
note of where I've read up to so I know what's new. RSS would make
this simpler, certainly, but I'm not sure about how I'd use it (it's
not how I currently use RSS, so I'd have to mess round with my current
setup to make it appropriate).

Email is delivered to me by default - I get anything new in my
python-dev folder, and I can skip or read the discussion as I choose.
I don't have to take action just to monitor things. (In other words,
the default is for people to see the discussions, rather than the
other way around.

Paul.