[Python-Dev] Issues with Py3.1's new ipaddr

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Wed Jun 3 17:31:07 CEST 2009

R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:

> Both approaches are valid, but lead to different design decisions.
> I don't see any reason why both needs cannot be met by a common API,
> but I'm wondering if any existing package is going to incorporate both
> approaches satisfactorily.  As another poster said, each package that gets
> written solves the problems that the particular author(s) needed solved.

I wonder if part of the problem is the name of the module.  Just from
"ipaddr", I'd expect it to deal with host addresses (what I think of as
an IP address) and would probably approach its use with the wrong
expectations.  I could see frustration and irritation following from
that.  If the module was called "networks" instead of "ipaddr", it might
help.

Bill