[Python-Dev] Issues with Py3.1's new ipaddr

Clay McClure clay at daemons.net
Wed Jun 3 04:58:09 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 10:41 PM, Gregory P. Smith <greg at krypto.org> wrote:

> ipaddr could be changed to yield IPv4 /32 or IPv6 /128 objects when
> iterating over it instead of strings and this example would work
> properly.

I have opened an issue in the ipaddr bug tracker that I think
addresses this issue. There are a few methods and properties in the
ipaddr.IP classes that return native types but should return IP
objects:

http://code.google.com/p/ipaddr-py/issues/detail?id=21

> It sounds like we have a 3.1rc2 scheduled for June 13th.  At this
> point based on the multitude of other developer comments in these
> threads and barring strong arguments in favor of including it as it
> stands I will remove it because there seem to be quite a number of
> people with objections to it as an API in its current form.

Thank you.

> Would someone volunteer write up a proposal (PEP) for such with a goal
> of having it completed within the next few months?  (I know people
> have suggested various other libraries, that counts; i have not taken
> the time to look at them).

I am happy to take a stab at that.

Thanks,

Clay