[Python-Dev] Issues with Py3.1's new ipaddr

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jun 2 23:32:59 CEST 2009

> Clay repeatedly pointed out that other people have objected to ipaddr and
> been ignored.  It's really, really disappointing to see you continue to
> ignore not only them, but the repeated attempts Clay has made to point
> them out.

[I meant to stop discussing here, but I just want comment on this remark]

I had seen objections from Victor Stinner, which I did not fully
understand, but he seemed to be saying that he is ok with including
ipaddr. I had also seen objections from David Moss, which he then
seems to have withdrawn. I did not take your message (msg78675 in
the tracker) as an objection - you just seemed to express a preference
to use netaddr instead. You said it had minor quirks, and some of them
have to be removed - but I would not infer that the library should be
exclude because of these minor quirks.

> I don't have time to argue this issue, but I agree with essentially
> everything Clay has said in this thread, and I commented about these
> problems on the ticket months ago, before ipaddr was added.

I now understand (but honestly didn't understand before) that you
are objecting to ipaddr's inclusion, and that you would prefer its
removal at this point.

Regards,
Martin