[Python-Dev] Issues with Py3.1's new ipaddr

Clay McClure clay at daemons.net
Tue Jun 2 16:08:18 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 9:22 AM, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:

>> '10.33.11.17'
>
> Actually I find that very intuitive if I understand that the objects
> are always networks.

I suspect the authors would disagree with you on this point, since
they insist that host routes and host addresses are the same thing,
but assuming you are right, two flaws are immediately apparent:

* The ipaddr classes are poorly named. Since they model networks, they
should be named appropriately: IPNet or some such.

* The ipaddr authors have overlooked IP addresses, which also deserve
first-class treatment in any meaningful IP address library. It is
called ipaddr, after all, and not ipnet.

>> '10.33.11.17'
>
> That's not intuitive :)

No, nor is the rest of the library intuitive. This is one of the
reasons I've called it "quirky".

Clay